Writing Support Handouts**
Our handouts are downloadable pdf documents that contain explanations and examples of university appropriate English language grammar and style.
Western Libraries has created up-to-date Online Style Guides for academic citations and referencing. Several citation management systems are also available for all Western students, staff, and faculty; this web-based software can help you organize and format your citations.
Directory of university writing centres
Other university writing centres have their own sets of resources. If you have been through our site and are looking for further information or help, check out the following selected list:
- Athabasca University, Write Site
- Dalhousie University, Writing Centre Resource Guide
- Emily Carr University of Art and Design, "The Writing Centre Handouts"
- Ohio University English Language Improvement Program
- Purdue University OWL
- Queens University, Writing Centre Tip Sheets
- University of Alberta, Centre for Writers Resources
- University of Calgary, "Online Writing Resources"
- University of Ottawa, The Writing Centre Resources
- University of Ottawa, HyperGrammar
- University of Toronto, Engineering Communication Program Online Handbook
- University of Victoria, Centre for Academic Communication
- University of Wisconsin, "The Writer's Handbook"
- University of Manchester Academic Phrasebank
Resources to get you started
Are you having trouble starting a paper? Don't know where to look for resources for your course? Begin your research with Weldon Library's subject-specific Research Guides.
New Weldon Research Help Consultation Service Available
Do you need in-depth help with your Social Science, Arts & Humanities or FIMS-related research? Book an appointment with a member of Weldon's Research Help team.
Academic Courses in Writing at Western
Writing, Rhetoric and Professional Communication Program
Still have questions? Visit our Frequently Asked Questions page.
Graduate Writing Resources
Workshop handouts and other resources can be found on our GradWRITE page.
Citing & Writing
The following tools are provided to assist you in organizing your references as well as guide you through the research and writing process.
Includes APA, Chicago, MLA, Turabian, citing music sources, legal citation and citing Government Publications.
Citation Management Software
Citation management software helps you organize the articles that you find when searching in databases, and automates the process of creating your bibliography when you're writing.
Resources to teach students how to avoid plagiarism and to help instructors teach students about plagiarism.
Copyright @ Western
Users and creators of copyrighted works are required to understand their rights and responsibilities under the Copyright Act. This page provides detailed information on the use of copyrighted works, the rights of creators of copyrighted works, and information specific to the use of copyrighted material at the Western University.
Writing Support Centre
A service of the Student Development Centre, "Building confidence and success through writing". Includes appointment and drop-in services, workshops and seminars and special services for graduate students.