Guaranteed Housing Deadline: Feb. 15 – May 31, 2018
New applicants are those who will be new first-year students (freshmen) in the upcoming semester. New Applicants should ultimately be concerned with meeting the Guaranteed Housing Deadline. However, it is always best to get your application completed as early as possible. You will have the best chance of being assigned to a residence hall you prefer the earlier you complete the housing application.
Following are the steps new applicants will follow:To de-assign means to be removed from a room to which you were assigned, without cancelling your housing application. You may want to consider this if:
- You have found a person and you'd like to be paired with as a roommate and you want to add each other to your housing applications. (Remember that to have a mutual roommate request, both students must request each other.)
- You want to re-order your building preferences because you have changed your mind on the hall in which you'd prefer to live.
- You have decided to add or drop a Special Interest Community. To remove a special interest community preference, you must change the preference to "I don't want to live in a Special Interest Community."
- Within one business day after this form is completed, you will receive an e-mail notifying you that you have been de-assigned from your current 2018-2019 assignment.
- You can then update your application preferences in Artemis before the next wave of assignments goes out.
- You will have until June 30, 2018, to de-assign from your currently assigned room.
Access the adaptive technology transcript: UNCG Freshmen - How to De-Assign.
Step 2: Visit Residence Hall InformationPrioritize a list of the halls to which you’d like to be assigned. These include the following halls, (unless you apply and are accepted into a Special Interest Housing Community): Cone,Grogan,Guilford,Mary Foust,Moore/Strong,North Spencer,Phillips/Hawkins,Ragsdale/Mendenhall,Reynolds,South Spencer,Weil/Winfield
Step 3: Activate Your iSpartan Email AccountBefore you open the application, ACTIVATE your iSpartan email account. UNCG iSpartan accounts are required to log into the application. You must wait one day between the time you activate your iSpartan account and the time you apply. The application can be completed using most internet browsers on both Mac and Windows PC. Accepted browsers include: IE 9 or older, Safari, Firefox, Google Chrome.
Step 4: Test Your AccessClick on the Artemis graphic anywhere on the application page to access the login screen for the application. You can test that your iSpartan account works ahead of time, but you will not be able to complete an application until the deadline period begins.
- Parent/Legal Guardian Approval:
- If a student is not 18 years of age at the time the online Housing Application is submitted, a parent or legal guardian will need to agree with the conditions and terms of the Housing Contract. Instructions for this step are available in Artemis.
Step 5: Read the Housing ContractThe 2018-19 Housing Contract (COMING SOON!) is a legally binding document. Please read it carefully, as you are responsible for fulfilling the terms of the contract.
Step 6: Use Artemis to ApplyLog into Artemis, to begin your housing application. You will be asked about:
- Special Interest Housing community preferences.
- Your building preferences (See Step 2 above): This is not optional and you must select all buildings and put them in order of preference. This preference is used if you are not assigned to a Special Interest Community.
- Any roommate preference and meal plan preferences: You will answer questions that will pair you with a random roommate, or you will select a specific person with whom you’d like to room.
- You will then order your building preferences.
- You will make a $200 non-refundable prepayment to complete your application. Your application is not complete and you cannot be assigned without the $200 non-refundable prepayment.
Getting Your AssignmentNew First Time Freshman will be assigned in waves, and the final assignments will be made in early July. During each wave only a percentage of each building will be filled. After you complete the application, you will be able to return to it to edit your preferences until June 30, 2018.
New freshmen are assigned in waves, as follows:
- 1st Wave: April 1
New Freshmen who apply before March 15, and who don't select a Special Interest Community preference, will receive an assignment by April 1.
- 2nd Wave: May 1
New Freshmen who apply or de-assign* before April 15, and who don't select a Special Interest Community preference, will receive an assignment by May 1.
- 3rd Wave: June 1
New Freshmen who apply or de-assign before May 15, will receive an assignment by June 1.
- Final Wave: July 6
New Freshmen who apply or de-assign before June 30, will receive an assignment by July 6.
Updating Your ApplicationTo update your housing application, log into Artemis and update your preferences. You have until June 30 or once you are assigned to update your preferences. Please Note: If you want to remove a special interest community preference, you must change the preference to "I don't want to live in a Special Interest Community."
Making Changes by De-AssigningIf you are assigned to a room but you wish to make changes to your assignment, you will need to request to DE-ASSIGN from your current assignment.
We typically reach a point where we have very few rooms available at any point during the day. This happens every year, but don’t panic! You will be able to continue to search for, and assign yourself to, rooms that become available until June 30! During that time, nearly 500 students will cancel their housing. When a person cancels his or her housing, that space will be available for students to self-assign, so keep trying.
We will have many students change their plans and cancel their housing for 2018-2019. Here are some key reasons and dates:
- March 20 – April 1: Students accepted to Study Abroad will cancel their housing.
- March 7 – 21: Students hired as RAs will be re-assigned to RA rooms
- Students will confirm their transfer to another school and cancel their housing
- Students will decide to commute or live off campus
- May 9 – May 31: Students will become academically ineligible
- Students who had their prepayment waived have until May 1 to cancel without paying a $200 Cancellation Fee.
If the anticipated freshman class is smaller than expected, additional space will be made available for upperclassmen. The responsibility to assign yourself to a room is your responsibility until June 30. After June 30, you will be assigned to a room by Housing staff.